Friday, December 31, 2010

My Twitter-Inspired New Year's Resolutions for 2011


Image from The Graphics Fairy
I think we all know anything worth saying can be said in 140 characters or less, so in keeping with this, I'm relying on tweets by strangers to bring me to a healthier, more prosperous, and happier new me in the New Year.

Here, I present, my twitter-inspired New Year's Resolutions.

1. Just because it made it to a grocery store shelf doesn’t mean we should feed it to our children. (Retweeted by @TimeOutMom, Tweeted by @NourishMD)

I hear this tweet in my head now when I go to the grocery store and I'm about to buy some packaged garbage - even when it's garbage trying to masquerade as health food. So 2011, this is the year I start eating better myself, and feeding my kids better. I've wanted to do this for a long time, and this is the year my family really does get serious about eating better. Top of my list, to stop eating processed food made in a factory. I'm going to be that mom who makes homemade granola bars, applesauce, even dried fruit bars.

2. Two years ago on The Happiness Project: Make your bed. Surprisingly powerful.
(Tweeted by @gretchenrubin)

I proclaim 2011 Make Your Bed year in our household. So far in my life, I have never been a bed-maker.  Surprisingly (or not surprisingly) my husband and I are in total agreement that making the bed is a total waste of time - it's just going to get messed-up again! We never make our kids make their beds, either. But for this year, I'll give it a try. And I'll ask my kids to give it a try, too. We'll make our beds every day, not just when company's coming over. Let's see if it has a profound impact on our lives.... or not.

3. The average American loses 1 hour per day searching for misplaced objects.
(Tweeted by @JulieMorgenstrn)

Oh my. If this average American spends an hour a day looking for stuff, how much time must I be spending, when I am a total slob? And have three kids- with lots of stuff they are always asking me to find. So this year, I'm cleaning-up the house. I'm throwing the backlog of stuff out. And moving forward, I'm going to be one of those people who adheres strictly to the one-thing-in, one-thing-out rule. For real. Oh yeah, and kids, you're following the rule, too. If you want a new Barbie, stuffed animal, puzzle or other consumery item you already have twenty of, one of 'em is gonna go....

And my final resolution.,..
4. Tweet less. This last resolution wasn't inspired by a specific tweet, but by the beast that is Twitter itself. I just started using Twitter two months ago, and already I have succumbed to its evil powers. Before Twitter, I never worried how much time I spent online. Now, I do.  I sneak Tweet-peeks here and there, whereas prior to Twitter-oholism, I kept a strict no phone/computer/TV rule when I was with my kids. But I'm reinstating the rule. Twitter, you'll have to find a way to live without me most of the time. But don't worry, I'll be back as always after the kids are asleep. And New Year's Eve, we'll always have that.

Happy New Year everyone! What are your resolutions?

2 comments:

Becca said...

Love this! :) Great ideas and I think it's really fun that they are all twitter inspired! Happy New Year!

Kerri said...

Love your post! Twitter does have addictive powers :)
@SavvyMomNYC

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...