Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gymboree - Someone Else Mother Earth Won't Be Friending on Facebook Anytime Soon

After ranting about the earth-destroying products Oriental Trading is selling in the name of Earth Day, I can't help but notice that they are sadly so not alone in their marketing exploitation of Earth Day.

Next up for Public Enemy #1 of Mother Earth: Gymboree. To be fair, I already don't really like the store because they have been so rude to me the few times I've tried to return something, and I think their clothes are a little bit too much geared-towards-the-pageant-set for my lil' Manhattan Fashionistas.

Yet, there I was, at the mall and my son needed pajamas. So in I went. And this is what I saw:




Now, keep in mind, except for printing those pro-green messages on the clothes, there is absolutely no other indication that Gymboree gives a damn about the planet. In fact, there is every indication they don't. These aren't organic cotton clothes. These aren't recycled materials clothes. These aren't even Made in the USA clothes. These are Made in China clothes. Made, I'm guessing, in a traditional, polluting, nothing-green-about it, factory.

But wait. I saved the best for last. This shirt:

'Cause, you know, all the trendy Eco Warriors are wearing Gymboree this year.

Know any other Earth Day offenders? Let me know below!

All photos from Gymboree.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you're finding the irony-straddling-hypocrisy in these companies. I haven't had any rudeness at Gymboree, but I've only ever been in a store twice. I let my the grandparents spend the cash there. Fantastic post! Eco-Warrior!

A Mommy in the City said...

I used to always shop at Gymboree when Harlan was first born, but haven't stepped foot in there since I moved to Manhattan. I just don't like all of the bright colors and "pageant like" clothes anymore. This makes me not want to shop there even more now! Great post!

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...