Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Days of Halloween: Day 5 - One of my favorite Halloween stories

This story is a few years old and was published here back in 2008. It still amuses me.



We had just moved to Larchmont from New York City, and our kids (ages 5 and 3) were beyond excited to go "real" trick or treating for the first time. We didn't really know any of our neighbors yet, except for one nice lady across the street who always let the kids play with Franklin, her friendly and adorable cat.

As soon as Daddy got home from work, it was time to hit the mean streets of Larchmont for some trick or treating. We walked up our block, and then turned to go down the opposite side. As we got closer and closer to the house where Franklin lived the kids got more and more excited, "Daddy! You finally get to meet Franklin! Hurry!"

When we got to Franklin's house we had a conversation that went like this and has become the stuff of family jokes to this very day:

Franklin's Mom: Hi everyone! So great to see you guys!

Me: Hi! Magpie and Kay insisted that the house they wanted to go to the most was Franklin's!

Franklin's Mom: Isn't that sweet! I don't know where Franklin is right now, or I'd have him come say hello... honey (yells to husband) do you know where Franklin is?

Franklin's Dad: I'm not sure, I think he might have gone up the street...

Magpie/Kay Dad, under his breath: Who doesn't know where their five-year-old is? And they don't even know if he might have gone up the street?

Magpie/Kay Dad out loud: Hi, I'm Mike. Nice to meet you. So Franklin and Magpie are in the same class at school?

Laughter.

More Laughter.
 
Magpie and Kelly: Daddy!!!!! Franklin's a cat!!!!!
 
Mike: Oh.
 
And even now, every time the kids mention a new friend, Mike gets a very serious look on his face, narrows his eyes and asks them, "And is this new friend A CAT?"

Happy Halloween! Do you have a Franklin tale, or am I the only one Husband Shaming?

Linking-up to my favorite online part-ay, Finding the Funny with My Life and Kids and Kelley's Breakroom. And if you haven't heard about it, Anna from My Life and Kids has a fantastic eBook out, 75 Ways to Have More Fun at Home. You can read my review here.

No comments:

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...