Sunday, June 10, 2012

We have summer guests!

I would really like to tell the whole, long story of the badger (who turned out to be a woodhuck, which I later learned is just a more fun way of saying groundhog) who we knew lived under our porch, but only recently decided to start living on our porch, and to make sure we didn't go anywhere near it.

I would really like to tell how he spent the whole winter fat and lazy, only to wake-up this spring svelte and apparently, according to Animal Control, somehow now a woman. I was sure he was a he.

I would really like to tell how the new mom is doing a great job of protecting her babies. Doing such a great job in fact that we have ceded all porch and backyard use to her and her offspring until she notifies us otherwise.

But for now, I'll just leave you with these photos of our summer guests.






And in case you're wondering, should you have similar guests this summer, their favorite food is carrots. And they know how to whistle. Loudly.  And it is because of this that they are sometimes called whistle pigs.

Note: If you are supposed to come for a barbecue at our house, we may want to reschedule.

5 comments:

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

What? She kicked you off your own property? Is there an end date to this? lol

Anna Sandler said...

Animal Control told me 1-2 weeks, and when I balked told me to be nice, "she's just a mom protecting her kids."

Which sorta made me feel bad, but I also sorta like to use my porch (and yard)!

Jill Seiman said...

Ew, I hate all the stuff. Thank goodness I only have to deal with rats, mice, and cockroaches.

Jennifer said...

They are kinda cute...but...are you not going to try to relocate them? #takeyourdeckback

kdwald said...

Are you planning on BBQ with the Whistle Pigs? You could do Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Pig Cafe. (bah dum dum)

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...