Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May Handprint Crafts for May Day, Mother's Day & Memorial Day

May is almost here. And that means we get spring weather and fun handprint crafts you can do with your kids!
Celebrating May Day? Make a May Day Basket from cut-out handprints and paper plates.

Photo from DLTK's Growing Together

And before you know it it will be May 8. A Sunday. Also known as Mother's Day. You could use any of the heart handprint crafts from Valentine's Day and just substitute "Happy Mother's Day" where the craft suggests "Happy Valentine's Day."

Or, if you think dear old mom will remember hey, didn't you give me something that looked just like this back in February? you could make this cute handprint tote from Paint Cut Paste:

Photo from PaintCutPaste.com
Or, choose from any of the truly touching I-might-even-cry-they're-so-sweet options over at Handprint and Footprint Art. She has choices like creating an I love you handprint in sign language and a handprint poem and picture frame.

And last, at the end of the month comes Memorial Day - Monday, May 30. I've always been moved by the reason behind having Memorial Day even if between barbecuing, beaching and generally enjoying a day off we forget how fortunate we are to have this day of lazy in the first place.

I think it's nice to make a small gesture of remembrance of the many who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, and to honor their memory. You can find lots of ways to express patriotic spirit in handprint art, but my favorite from amongst the sea of flags and red, white & blue, is this Handprint Bald Eagle. You can paint the handprints or cut them out of brown paper.
Picture from AllKidsNetwork.com
And just one more.... if after this winter you're like me, you'll just want to celebrate the sunshine with a Handprint Sun:

Photo from About.com Family Crafts

Happy May!

4 comments:

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

I love the handprint bag and am thinking my mom would be all over that!! I'm about to go check it out. Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

i think if you make the bag with a good-quality tote, it is actually useful (and cute) my daughter made one at school and i love it for lugging towels and toys to the beach.

Anonymous said...

Love the sun and the flowers especially. The eagle and bag look like they'll need more concentration that my drugged up sinuses can offer right now.

Amanda said...

Thanks so much for the link and the super sweet compliment! I have those same totes saved for my Mother's Day part 2 post! I am your newest Twitter follower @artsy_momma

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...