Friday, February 1, 2013

The Real Groundhogs of New Jersey

With Groundhog Day tomorrow, I'm getting nostalgic for when we had our own groundhog family as summer guests last summer. We still miss them. Sorta-not-really-at-all.

Here's my story of The Real Groundhogs of New Jersey:

We have a groundhog mom and her two groundhog babies making themselves at home on our porch and in our backyard - and they're not the sharing kind.

I'm totally OK with it because:

1. Animal Control assured me the groundhogs would leave on their own within three to four weeks - and I totally wasn't planning on using my porch, or backyard, for the month of June so it's fine. Really.


Our deck/groundhog haven
2. Animal Control made me feel like a horrible person for even considering that the groundhog mom and her clawing hissing ways to be a nuisance to me by explaining, "Give her space. She's just a mom trying to do her job. She's protecting her babies!"

Mama Groundhog patrolling my porch and back yard
Yes, Animal Control played the Mom Card on me. And I gotta admit... well played, Animal Control. Well played. Fine, fine have it your way. I will give Mama Groundhog her space.

3. The baby groundhogs have attracted all the local hawks in the area. So while my kids cannot play outside, they can watch Animal Kingdom Live! through the windows every day.

Baby groundhog, admittedly adorable.

4. Groundhog mania inspired my daughter Kay, age 6, to make this delightful dinner:


Now just try and tell me you don't want to come over for dinner at our house. All the delicious Groundhog Meatloaf you can eat, and a free hawk vs. baby groundhog show! Summer doesn't get any better!

9 comments:

Angie Nelson said...

Not so sure I would want them living on my porch either. Though I would likely be inclined to try to help the mama protect the babies from the hawks. Good show for the neighbors. :)

Kristen said...

OK. So I can completely understand how having a groundhog family move in would be a pain. But that baby groundhog is as cute as can be!

Unknown said...

I too would be less than thrilled about that. Stopping by from Sharefest.

Unknown said...

ahhhh yeah....we have our issues with groundhogs here in VA too!!

Happy Sharefest :)

The 5th Level of Motherhood

Smarty Pants Mama said...

Aren't the hawks so scary? We get an influx of turkey vultures during winter in Miami. The fly so low and I swear swarm over my head all the time!

From Sharefest :-)

TabbyAnn said...

did he see his shadow though?? Now that is the question haha. your groundhog post topped the fun one I put up yesterday, considering you had a real one! Tell your daughter that meatloaf looks awesome.

Tabby
http://www.shoppingwives.com

Debra Rutt said...

You should make your groundhogs famous by selling tix to see if they come out today & see their shadows! We see them all the time in our backyard, luckily they don't stay for very long with us!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Ohmigawsh. This is hilarious!! I can't believe how animal control responded. Here there would be helicopters hovering and a swat team to wipe out the vermin! Ok, perhaps I am exagerating a little bit and yes, I know I spelled that wrong.

Visiting from SITS share fest and I am so grateful I did!

Mallory said...

I don't think I'd want groundhogs under my porch, either. Hoping that the 'family' is getting ready for a quick move before the warmer weather arrives!

..and hey, at least they aren't possums! Those are even creepier!

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...